Barbara consistently supports and works on bipartisan legislation that will protect and enhance the lives of those who have served.
Working with the Treasury and the Legislature, she successfully changed the Veteran’s Welcome Home Bonus law and raised additional funding to ensure that our veterans receive fair compensation for all of their military deployments.
As a legislator, Barbara served on a bipartisan veterans subcommittee tasked with reviewing how health care is delivered to veterans.
Bills Passed in 2009-2010
Veterans Support (Chapter 132 of the Acts of 2009)
- Provides veterans of the Commonwealth with improved services and support as they return from war
- Establishes the Massachusetts Medal of Liberty to honor fallen service members and offers increased housing opportunities for veterans
- Allows the Commonwealth to partner with Home of the Brave, Inc., a newly-created non-profit organization, to provided new housing for veterans
- Honorably discharged veterans will be given the opportunity to substitute appropriate military training and experience in occupational specialties in lieu of current state permitting, licensing and certification requirements
- Allows disabled veteran-owned businesses to qualify for state contracts with rights similar to those of women and minority-owned businesses
- Expands the “Welcome Home Bonus” program to give Massachusetts service members expanded access to monetary bonuses upon returning from duty